From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 1995 11:01:27 -0500
 Bill Miller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>This doesn't mean that you are going to get a bad queen on supesedure.   For
>example, I personally use swarms to start new colonies.  They nearly always
>supesede the swarm queen sometime during the summer, and I always have kept
>the new queen for those colonies.   I have yet to be disappointed with the
>results.

Points well taken. But at the same time you are breeding for the swarming
trait, which to me is a trait I don't want to encourage! They always
supercede the queen, so you are perpetuating undesirable traits.

>Remember that for most of us, the area drones either come from other managed
>colonies, or from feral colonies that have held up to the mites and adopted
>to the local conditions.

This is the point I was making, how can you breed better stock from unknown
genetics. You wouldn't think of putting your prized race horse, to the local
donkey, or would you??? Because all you'll get is an ass!! :-)

>Changing subjects to hive wrapping: We in Maryland don't wrap colonies for
>the winter, in fact we have been taught that wrapping causes moisture buildup
>and other problems.  Judging from the recent postings, I gather in Canada
>wrapping is a common practice.   I suppose there is a "wrap line", north of
>which wrapping is advisable.   Any thoughts as to where this line is?

It would seem that line is about 50 miles north of Toronto. Talking to
Toronto beekeepers they don't wrap but here in the snow belt we do. We get
around 12ft of snow in an average winter, we have had 5ft so far and it is
only just December, whereas Toronto only get about 3ft and milder
temperatures. We usually get down to -30C in Jan-Feb, therefore wrapping is
essential. We use a layer of tar paper(roofing felt) and one layer of blue
styrene (it is used around foundations) inside the innercover. The blue is
waterproof (the white takes up moisture). The use of a top entrance is
imperative, or we would spend too much time digging them out, also it aids
in ventilating the hive to remove any moisture. My experience tells me that,
"Cold does not kill bees, dampness does" The Inuit have a saying "Stay warm
and DRY". If you are wet under low temps, it will kill you.
   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1.*
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks          *