From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 08:31:33 EST
"Donald F. Cesaretti" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> I would appreciate any information anyone could provide on keeping bees
>(first year bees) in a city-dwelling situation. They will have to be
>kept on the roof of the building as far as I am aware.
>        You're help, experiences and knowledge is greatly appreciated.
>
>Don Cesaretti

Don,

A few words: shade, neighbors, gravity, liability (these words aren't
in any particular order or rank).

Shade:  Roof tops tend to be quite sunny all day.  Roof top hives may
need to be provided shade.

Neighbors: Apartment buildings are known to have many occupants below
the room who like going up to the roof for smokes, escape from the
wife and kids or parents or to meet other people or look into their next
door neighbors' windows or whatever.  Bees don't care why the non-beekeepers
are on "their" roof top.  Read on.

Gravity: LOTS of heftin' up 5 flights of stairs can make beekeeping wear
real thin real fast.

Liability: Given that bees don't care why non-beekeepers are on "their"
roof, you may have occasion to experience incidents over which lawyers
may get involved.  The real problem with lawyers is they have no problem
finding clients.

I don't mean this to discourage you from keeping bees in the city, roof
top hives can be very productive.  But as always, your results may vary.
Look before you leap, don't be jumpin' off any rooves, think before you
locate.  I'd hate to see you end up like Dave Green's buddy.  Perhaps you
can find a site within commuting distance of your new apartment.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!