From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2014 13:36:54 +0000
It seems that the conversation has become muddled again due to the word "adapted".

Let us recap:?

"Perhaps we need a different word. In the first sense, adaptable means to be able to adapt in real time to changing conditions. In the second sense, it addresses evolutionary adaptation which is the result of natural selection."

And you forgot "epigenetics", but so did everyone else for the last few days, which tells me that no one understands it very well.  Too bad!!!  Let's try this boiled-down way of looking at it:

Short term adaptation = "put on your coat, it's cold outside"

Medium term adaptation = "my dad did it this way so I will too"  (a loose description of epigenetics)
Long term adaptation = permanent genetic change at the level of the gene itself.

Maybe this will help?

Christina