Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2011 11:49:56 -0400
> Which formula are you referring to Bill?  I've never had luck with
> essential
> oils other than Apiguard thymol gel applied into the center of the brood
> nest.

It was the thymol/sugar syrup ratios that we all came up with last year
after much deliberation. It is also the formulation found on many posts on
Beesource for essential oils.

I only used the solution to feed the bees.

I used Apiguard (gel in center, two applications)  the prior year with 100%
survivors, but I like to experiment ever since I was editor of our State
newsletter and acted like the Maine Consumer Reports for beekeepers. Even
tried menthol cough drops when it was suggested for tracheal (did not work).

Asked another Chapter how they did and the results were about the same as my
Chapter. Best survival was Formic/fumidil (80% or better with many at 100%).
Next was Formic by itself along with Apiguard and fumidil (50% or better
survival- very spotty), then Apiguard  (40%) and everything else after that
resulted in often zero survival. Very unscientific as I have no idea what
killed the bees, since starvation was definitely a problem this year.
However many report the same conditions I found in my dead outs which would
lead to Varroa/virus as the cause.

I am trying to find out how those with top bar hives did, but have received
no response. They have been touted as not needing anything to survive, but
what I have seen in past winters is 0% survival. Be happy to be surprised.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine