From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 22:28:20 +0100
Dave Cushman wrote about methods on introduction.

Last year I started using JzBz cages, but had a few problems with queens not
released and dead in the cage.  I saw an article in ABJ which reported
similar problems so I emailed Jim Paysen (of JzBZ) to tell him that I had
the same problem.  He responded immediately - offering to replace my old
cages with his new pattern of cage which has larger holes.  The new cages
duly arrived and I have been using them this year.

I have started a spreadsheet to record details of each introduction, and so
far the only failures have been rather predictable - for example, trying to
introduce a two year old queen to a colony.  (You might ask why I would try
to do this!  The reason is that we had bad winter losses last year and so
are not destroying queens that are OK production wise, but do not fit with
our breeding criteria; instead we are moving them away from our queen mating
area and using them temporarily in splits, with the intention of replacing
them as more desirable stock from our queen rearing operation becomes
available).
Best wishes

Peter Edwards
beekeepers at stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk