Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2011 23:49:41 -0400
Brood effects of pesticide exposure

>Sub-lethal effects of pesticides on bees, including delayed adult emergence, may seem inconsequential but may provide a reproductive advantage for Varroa mites.<

>Honey bees are biological indicators, picking up chemicals and other pollutants from their environment both external and internal to their hives. Our findings suggest that one of the underlying commonalities in the worldwide reports of a decline in honey bee health and observations of Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) may be exposure of honey bees and bee products to pesticides. Developmental exposure of honey bees to pesticide contaminated brood comb may appear subtle and indirect, but can lead to sub-lethal effects that actually have serious consequences.<

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0014720

Randy said
>So no need to blame miticide residues.<

I'm not blaming miticides in all cases of colony crashes due to Varroa. I just think that was the case with these two Nucs.

Maybe the queens you bring in are not adapted to the varroa and the viruses they harbour/vector in your test yard. I'm sure it is a lot more complicated than just one factor.