Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 18:33:49 -0600
Dar Heinze wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a question about feeding.  I read that the proper fall feed was 2 parts
> sugar, and 1 part water.  Well, almost everytime I have made syrup 2:1, it has
> crystalized before the bees could drink it all.  So, I decreased the sugar to
> 1 3/4:1, which seems to fix the problem.  But - will this lessened sugar
> content have any ill effects?  I have a entrance feeder, so when the sugar
> crystalizes, it plugs the holes and does not allow any more liquid to pass
> through.
>
> Thanks!
> Dar

I've never had 2:1 mix crystalize (or a 3:1 for that matter) - do you
heat it to the boiling point? I've noticed a cloudy mixture till the
boiling point then it turns crystal clear and stays that way. Don't
overheat or it will carmelize - not a good thing.  Also, IMHO, I'd ditch
the entrance feeder and go with the ziplock baggie method.  My bees can
empty one of those babies in 24 hrs ( could be why it never
crystalizes). This time of year in the northern hemisphere I would think
an inside food supply might be better (like the baggie feeder).

AL