From:
Eunice Wonnacott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 1997 21:23:16 -0300
An early experience, about 20 years ago.

I had only a couple colonies, set up near a small woodlot.  Late in
October, I had taken off honey, and when I returned about a week later to
feed for the winter , I discovered that my neighbor's cattle had been
wandering around, and had upset the one colony.  Supers were upside down,
and separated.  It had snowed, and there was about 8 inches of snow all
over everything. My instinct to tidy up went into play;, and I "righted"
the supers, to find the cluster and lots of bees below the snow.  I brushed
away as much snow as I could, and was delighted to find them still alive  a
week later.  This is the first colony that lived over the winter for me.
Seems to prove that they are tougher than we think.  Or that ventilation is
more important than anything else!!

        I have always had to drive at least 20 miles to tend the bees, so visits
were not as frequent as possible for others.

        Eunice W

        "From The Cradle of Confederation"