From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 10:47:35 EDT
In a message dated 10/5/98 10:30:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I'm new to this discussion group and would appreciate any response to two
>  questions.  My husband and I have been keeping hornfaced bees for
>  pollination for 3 years now.  We live in Coatesville, Pennsylvania and the
>  bees seem to be doing well. Does anyone know if they are susceptible to the
>  varroa and tracheal mites of honey bees?

    They have their own parasites, which tend to build up when you concentrate
the population. For more info, see an article by Dr. Van Alebeek on the
pollination page under Alternative Pollinators.

Also, we would like to switch from
>  cardboard tubes to wooden bee houses -- does the type of wood used make a
>  difference with the bees?

   My understanding is that any wood will do. Personally I'd avoid cedar,
walnut or other such strong smelling wood. The problem is getting a drill bit
long enough. If the holes are not deep enough, the male/female ratio becomes
way too high.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html