From:
Dick Marron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:06:33 -0500
Bill T said:

> [...]
of
Varroa being a vector of virus. So far, what has been presented is that
virus have been found in mites. That is a given if they have fed on a bee
that has virus.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
In your honor Bill, I looked it up. Wiki says simply: Vector (biology),
organism that transmits diseases, infections, or foreign living material.

If we stay with DWV and note that adults carry it with no problems;
developing brood are affected in several ways. If the mite takes the
infection from the hemolymph of the adult and delivers it to a larva, what
would you call that? From the point of view of the larva, it's certainly a
vector. If that mite becomes a passenger on a forager that drifts into a
nearby colony and does this trick again....it's still in the vector mode,
no?

Children bring a lot of infections home. Also be very careful of
grandchildren. They are known vectors. Hope your cold gets better. No! Death
to the cold! I hope you get better.

Dick Marron