From:
George Fergusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 18:17:21 -0400
Mike Stoops wrote:
> On another bee discussion list the question has come up as to whether
> or not roses are a source of nectar and/or pollen.  Looked in the
> archives and didn't see any reference to such.  What is your opinion
> or experience in this?

Hi Mike-

Roses belong to a large family (rosaceae) which includes many varieties
that are well known pollen and nectar producers such as strawberry,
raspberry, apple, plum, cherry, etc. The family is huge. I'm certain
that bees collect pollen and in some cases nectar as well from many of
your wild and garden-variety roses. Some of the hybrids may not be that
attractive to bees because of the densely packed petals.

Here, my 3 of my bees are collecting pollen from a Rosa Rugosa flower.
The pollen is sort of grayish colored:

http://www.sweettimeapiary.com/pics/Bees_On_Flowers/target66.html

In this shot, the bee is burrowing down to the base of the stamens. I
saw many bees doing this and I'm certain it's collecting nectar:

http://www.sweettimeapiary.com/pics/Bees_On_Flowers/target64.html

George-
George Fergusson
Whitefield Maine