From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:03:27 -0400
John Mayer wrote:
> the majority of people who come into our offices saying they are "allergic" to bee stings
> mean that when they are stung it gets red and swollen at the site, and really, really hurts.

This is a NORMAL reaction to bee stings.  It is not an allergic reaction, it's the body reacting in a normal way to a foreign venom.  The hystamines in the venom cause the swelling and make it red, and yes it hurts.  This is not an "allergic" reaction, it is normal.  Antihystamines relieve the symptoms.  So do more bee stings as one's immune system becomes more used to a less foreign substance.  The issue is that folks come into a physician claiming an "allergic reaction" and the physician reinforces their claim by saying, "Yep, that's an anllergic reaction alright" when in actuality what is being exhibited is a normal reaction to a beesting.  The patient usually goes away with a perscription for an epipen and a reinforced fear of bee stings, when what is usually needed is an explanation of what bodies do when subjected to bee stings and a reassurance that they are reacting normally and don't really need to go running off to a physician when their reaction is noraml.  True allergic reactions are quite rare.

Aaron Morris - thinking true allergic reactions are quite rare.