From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2005 09:29:54 -0700
> Unless this give away comes with frames and the brood nest sanctuary is
> left intact, where especially pollen frames have been left in place, the
> colonies will more or less be doomed.
<etc.>

I didn't comment at the time, but IMO, all Keith's comments in this post
make a lot of good sense, and mirror my own observations and experience, and
also my philosophy at one point, back when the Canada/US border was closed
and we were faced with a choice: either indulge in idealism, sour grapes and
wishful thinking, or face reality and get to work making lemonaide.

In my own experience, when we were faced with a totalitarian situation, it
soon became obvious that such idealism has one weakness -- for complete
success, it depends on complete co-operation by all beekeepers in an area
and for some to sacrifice or work against their own best interests, and that
can never be achieved.  In a free society, others have a right to their
opinions and activities, and they often (correctly) are at odds with
idealist positions.  In Alberta, we found that we could not herd all the
cats, or line up our ducks, and had to accept that fact.

As a result, I had to shift my philosophy to one of optimizing in shifting
circumstances and adopting whatever pragmatic approach would yield the best
compromise of all interests, but I do understand and respect the instincts
to do what seems -- ideally -- to be right..

allen

To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for
happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost.
            -- Gustave Flaubert