Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2010 21:18:19 -0600
> Thanks to both you and Allen for the information.

Thanks.  Credit goes to Aaron, though.  I have never seen a Sundance trap.

>  I'm planning on using the Hopkins method to obtain my queens.

Take a look at the tricks at http://www.mdasplitter.com

His take on queen raising is interesting.  I think I have read the cell
breakdown idea before, but he organizes it in an interesting way.  He says
good things about the bees selecting larvae of the correct age.  Randy's
comments on the feeding of larvae and how it changes over time and caste
gives me pause, though in allowing total and unconditional acceptance.  That
said, such queens are plenty good for me and prolly better than many that
come in a box.

Mike and I have discussed his system and I think we agreed it is a bit
ambitious for some years, but the site is provocative.

I'd be interested on feedback from list members, since I have decided to
split to the max, but be smarter this year.  I figure the market for bees is
better than the market for honey and there is none of that sticky heavy
stuff to wrestle with.

Wouldn't you know it, though?  This year our Alberta bee newsletter is full
of nucs for sale and the wintering losses are down drastically due to
Medhat's campaign and a good dose of luck.

Of course, our 'winter' does not end with the beginning of spring and the
biggest losses last year were in late April and May.

And, people are still buying package bees.  I just bought 6 swarms from
Australia and shook them into a friend's hives and my own.

I'm hoping to get some Apis cerana and a few SHB to play with as a bonus,
along with the allegedly Ozzie inferior genes.

(For the humour-impaired, that was a joke -- I hope)