From:
"Kevin P. Sargent" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:27:35 EDT
I have been breeding my own mite resistant bees for the past 3 summers--
I have not treated any of my hives for varroa mites going on 3 years this
fall.
I breed from the ones that i call varroa killers--a worker will do a shake
when
a mite is on her back to try to dislodge the mite. Then a few of the other
workers will come to her rescue and attack the mite on her back.(I have seen
this several times)And of course i can only breed from the "survivor "colonies
that live through a New Hampshire winte.

As i have done for the past 3 years i will not treat my hives for varroa and
breed
from the survivors next spring. At times it is hard to find
varroa mites in some of my hives but i know they are present as i find young
bees with deformed wings--and see mites on a few bees.

I must be headed in the right direction raising these (N.H. hybrid italians)
or they
would have not survived this long after 3 years of no varroa treatment.

Kevin P. Sargent
Maple Hill Sugarhouse
RR 1 Box 392B-County Farm Rd.
Claremont, N.H. 03743