From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 21:41:20 -0000
Bob wrote:
> The wing venation test has a margin of operator error (which I reported in
> my ABJ article). The operator has to be very precise when they mouse click
> on the bee part  points for the computer. The Florida lab showed me by
> clicking outside the range that the wing venation program would display
> error. Still a margin of operator error exists. I actually considered the
> process out dated. I would invent a system in which the computer takes a
> picture of both slides ...

You may be interested to know that there is a program which will analyse the
scanned image of a wing and automatically calculate a number of indices.  It
was written by Adam Tofilski and is called DrawWing.  I was involved in
testing the program and wrote a small Excel spreadsheet program  to analyse
the results and display them in a graphical format.  My primary interest in
wing morphometry is to determine the racial purity of bees in my A.m.m.
breeding programme, but I was finding the use of programs that required the
operator to click on the landmarks (vein junctions) both tedious,
time-consuming and prone to operator error (a sample of 50 wings requires
400 clicks).

The spreadsheet can be downloaded from
http://www.stratfordbeekeepers.homecall.co.uk/MorphPlotV1.7.XLS and the
first sheet consists of full working instructions and details of where to
download DrawWing.  Both are simple to use and very fast - the most
time-consuming part of the operation is collecting the wings and arranging
them on the scanner bed.

Best wishes

Peter Edwards
beekeepers at stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk