From:
Michael Reddell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 19:12:55 -0800
Joel Govostes wrote:

> I wonder if there are beekeepers whose businesses are centered on supplying
> bees to greenhouses for such purposes.(?)

Yes there are.  I share a yard with Kevin Roberts in Gilroy CA.  He
polinates in greenhouses for seed companies around here.  To keep their
genetics straight they have to isolate the plants from stray pollen.

Kevin puts one 4 frame nuc in each greenhouse and charges the grower
enough to replace the bees.  By the time they've spent 2-3 weeks in the
greenhouse he says they're pretty weak.

For Kevin this supplements his field pollination and queen rearing
operations.

Michael Reddell
http://www.hotcity.com/~mwr