Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 23:50:00 GMT
>>When colonies are widely separated as in the Arnot  forest
the mites have nowhere else to go so it is in their interest  not to
exterminate the host.

I saw Tom Seeley's map with the nest locations.  They are close
enough to be robbed out [and the mites transfered to the new host
locations].  The same would hold for any managed colonies near the
forest.

I doubt the mite difference between the forest nest and managed nest
is significant.  Virus presence or lack thereof might be a bigger
factor.  I have not heard that anyone has looked at virus levels in
the forest colonies.

I remove/collect feral colonies in suburbia and many of them
undoubtedly originate from managed nests yet do just fine on their
own.  I am inclined to think the mite or virus types are different.

Walemar