From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2012 07:46:20 -0400
Ramona wrote:

>The poop infusion has a 95% success rate...folks are finally able to throw away the diapers and live normal lives again.
>
>When I read the interview a couple of years ago with the Danish doctor who pioneered this treatment I was very excited >and told my doctor about it.  I was quite surprised when she told me she would rather die than undergo a treatment like >that.  She's a great doctor...I guess the poop taboo runs pretty deep.>

Perhaps, in time, it will gain more acceptance.  Just look at helminthic therapy - inoculation with hookworms or pinworms as a treatment for many food allergies and autoimmune conditions, such as celiac disease, Crohn's disease, multiple sclerosis, and ulcerative colitis.  It is getting a huge play right now.  Several centers in the UK are getting the air time and credit for 'inventing' the treatment, but I remember reading in the New England Journal of Medicine over 10 years ago about a couple of French doctors, who infected kids with human pinworms and saw the reduction in food allergies.  The last thing I read was that they were going to do a study with pig pinworms, since they did not survive to reproduce in the human gut and, therefore, did not require additional treatment to kill.  I know it was in France, because I remember thinking at the time "Only in France could doctors get away with treating kids with worms based on anecdotal evidence from third world countries."  Not true, of course, such studies can be done almost anywhere, if properly set up, but it's what I thought at the time.  My take away from the study was: Let your kids eat dirt (so to speak), an antiseptic home environment is bad.  I don't have proof, but along the same lines I think that having dogs and cats as pets reduces allergies (at least nasal) into adulthood.  I am a data point of one, but I don't have any known allergies, and I spent many hours rolling in the dirt with our Duke, our German Shepherd.  Do kids today even play outside?  In short, early exposure is a good thing, contrary to what we are bombarded with via advertising today.

Bringing this back to bees and Randy's poop smoothies   (mmmm, so good tasting and so good for you), if certain gut microbes are missing, is there a theory why?  Concentrated breeding (a form of monoculture)?  Overuse of treatments?  Never mind, went back and re-read the thread and Randy wrote:

>someone may be able to develop an inoculum to feed to queens or packages to
>prime their guts with an optimum biota, which may have been compromised
>over the years from our use of antibiotics, and bottlenecking due to
>centralized breeding programs.

My inflation-adjusted 2.75 cents.

Bill