From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:55:59 -0400
Hi Karla

You wrote:
> As for Fall pollen feeding...

Now that the dust has settled, I would like to point out that I NEVER suggested that pollen feeding was not a good idea when there are bad conditions in fall, such as excessive rain or drought.

What I was referring to was work by Guelph scientists that suggest that the cessation of the pollen flow is crucial for the bees' switch into winter mode, and PERHAPS it should not be extended beyond the normal season.

In other words, if goldenrod failed, one could use a supplement during that period but cease when the flow would have ceased. This information pertains primarily to beekeepers that intend to overwinter their bees for four to six months.

If the bees are going to be hauled elsewhere, especially to California or Florida, then it might do no harm to have them stay in brooding mode, and quite possibly it would increase the health of the hives.

All the same, the  Guelph work suggested that there may be a crash following excessive off season brood rearing. To which someone replied that I must think CCD is caused by pollen supplements, which I don't.

But it is worth thinking about the long-term effect of stimulative feeding. There may be a price to pay -- there usually is with artificial stimulants of any kind.

PLB