From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:10:36 +0100
Hi Don (via Aaron)

> I am trying the Hopkins method of cell production this year. I don't see
how
> one can cut free the cells without turning them upside down or at least
> turning the frame on its side.

Good point...

As it happens, I have been looking at this Hopkins/ 'Case' method, in fits
and starts, over many years and I have gathered a bundle of notes on the
process.

However, I am not a very tidy person... I was looking at those notes only a
few weeks ago, but now I cannot find them (I have thousands of such bundles
laying around as the filing cabinets are full).

I cannot remember whether this point is addressed in Gerry Hayes recent
write up, but I know that in my notes I have a design for a frame with
swivelling slats that can be set with strips of foundation (these can be
drawn out by a swarm). The drawn frame can be laid up with the frame
installed vertical and on the fourth day the slats have the intervening
cells trashed and they are turned so the the cells will hang down.

I must confess that the reason for designing this piece of kit was to
eliminate the wooden framework that is needed to house a proper Case
horizontal frame.

Attitude disturbance was not considered at the time I did the original work,
perhaps it should now be considered... As I have made a particular point of
championing better reverance for queencells for two or three years.

The swivelling slats may well be an answer for this reason as well, so I
will redouble my effort to find the notes and will write it up as a web
page.

I would be grateful to receive any comments (on or off list) for inclusion
in such a page

Best Regards & 73s... Dave Cushman, G8MZY
Beekeeping & Bee Breeding Website...
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman