From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:03:59 +0100
I have a lot of contacts in the trade, and, strictly comparing like with
like, ie, not retail or even gift packed items against bulk product, the
most expensive honey I know of is Yemeni High mountain Coffee Honey.

Yields are tiny and irregular, and the entire surplus is snapped up into
Saudi Arabia. Last figure I heard was GBP20....or about
USD36.........per pound as most here are US readers......in bulk. Low
ground product apparently fetches considerably less. I spoke to one
Saudi buyer about this matter a long time ago, and they do seem to place
great value on mountain origins.

I do not know the current rates, and this figure is about 6 years old.

Someone mentioned Manuka earlier in the thread. I have a close friend
who trades this honey quite a lot, and the prices are a very moveable
feast. Depends on activity level and if it has organic status or not. I
believe the premium for organic status (with Manuka, not in most cases)
has dropped off the map in the last year or more, but activity levels
are king. Highest activity Manuka honey still trades in bulk at very
high rates, I believe in the region of GBP 14K USD 25K per tonne in the
European market. According to my trader friend the premium for organic
has largely vanished in the last couple of years, and he no longer has
to pay significantly extra (sometimes no premium at all)  for that.
--
Murray McGregor