From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 12:38:00 -0500
N Gravel wrote:

> What would be your suggestions for keeping that hive through the winter =
> in its location.
> My first concern would be nosema.
Hello all,
I really wouldn't think bringing the hive through winter would be such a
big task as long as you can feed and medicate them. Fumidil B by
directions should take care of the nosema. You can feed by drilling a
small hole in the top and using a bear. We take several through the
winter in Missouri. We close their entrances but open their entrance
when ever weather permits for cleansing flights. I think its really
easier to put the observation hive back into a hive and build a new hive
in the spring but being able to watch the bees all winter has its
rewards. The biggest problem might be in the size of the nest. Both the
observation hives at Osage Honey farm and the Berry Patch get cold
enough trough the wall so that the queens stop laying and they do
cluster for much of the winter. Without stored pollen i can't see that
they would rear brood all winter. Your climate is different than ours so
i may not be the beekeeper to answer your question only giving our
experiances in case they might help.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison