From:
Scott Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2013 13:20:30 -0800
Hobbyist - I plan on requeening two hives next month using a combination of
the Cloake Board method and the Cut Cell method.  This is a lot of
manipulation for just two colonies but for me, I like the technical
approach and simplicity of the methods.

My question:  Once the queen cells are capped can I keep four or five
cells in the upper brood box (deeps) of both colonies above a QE until they
emerge, selection is complete and mate, then remove the old queen in the
lower brood box or should the brood boxes of the hives be separated
by double screens until the new queen is mated?  It seams to me that just a
QE may result in one/both of the new/old queens being killed by the
colonies.  I'm going for a continuous Spring brood cycle buildup here and
will use this same requeening method in late August to get a brood
cycle break when I treat for VD.  Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated!

Scott Ball, Livermore, CA