Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2018 06:57:58 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
a snip from James Fischer followed by > my comments..  
 So who to believe--the lab study (where 
 the larvae were reared in plastic cups 
 and hand fed set amounts of diet), 
 or the field study...?

To quote the commercial for taco shells "Why not both?" 

> First off thanks for pointing out the 'false choice' above and what may appear to some as bulling of folks who do not provide much input at this virtual site... Calling folks fools certainly does not encourage them to provide their own ideas and their own content. I need not agree with some but imho the more the merrier.  One might guess if all this virtual site wishes for is the view from the two coast then that is what they shall get? 

> As to bugs... more or less?  We seem to have plenty here and the newly introduced kind are a constant bother (primarily of the ant variety).  Not certain where the midwest begins and ends so I am not certain if central Texas applies.  Meanwhile my old friend 'Cowboy Larry' a product of central Kansas tells me you can dig in the ground for earth worms to go fishing in Kansas and never find a single one... Do fishworms classify as bugs? Certainly will never find them on your windshield or in a well plowed and well sprayed field in Kansas.

> The reports of less bugs and less birds is really (according to my very well educated wife) nothing new and I would GUESS the causes (as in most things in the world) are several and more often many.

> Finally we have a young fellow here (TAMU Bee Lab) doing sample of pollen from several states all collected from urban hives. Beyond id type of pollen collect he is also surveying neonics and the level is twice that in California as in the other three locations (states).  Thinking that your location has little or no chemical contaminates is in my opinion nothing more than an opinion.  My hives (apiary location) here are largely on large rural cattle operation and there is little chemicals applied there beyond an occasion herbicide application < not certain if this is roundup or something else.... but I would be foolish to think some of this does not get into my hives. I do not tell land owners what to do or not to do but I do not add to the problem by spraying around my hives with weed killer. 

> Often times these questions come down to 'what can I do'!    

Gene in central Texas....    

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2