Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2013 18:28:08 -0500
PLB wrote:
"I would include in legitimate costs: gasoline, advertising,
medications, sugar,
clothing, labor, loan payments, insurance, etc. etc. All of these can
be
deducted from gross income as expenses. (It's a wonder there's anything
left for
profit or reinvestment)."

You forgot education and training! My bees usually pay for me to go to
the FIBKA annual summer school at Gormanston College, about 20 miles
north of Dublin, where 300+ beekeepers gather for a week to learn from
top class lecturers at Beginner, Intermediate and Senior levels as well
as practical workshops on subjects as varied as microscopy,
morphometry, encaustic painting and furniture polishing.  The College
has its own Castle, yew cloister, hurley pitches, swimming pool, sports
hall, chapel, golf course and cemetery, so all your needs are catered
for!

He continued: "I question the wisdom of using antibiotics to increase
production. The general
consensus is moving toward the condemnation of this practice in
livestock, due
to the huge problem of antibiotic resistance in humans. This would not
prohibit
the use of antibiotics to treat specific diseases. "

As recall, some years ago the people creating genetically modified
crops used antibiotic resistant 'marker' genes to enable it easily to
be tested whether the intended gene had also been transferred to the
plants.  At the Dublin Apimondia we were told that, in Italy, it had
been discovered that, through epigenetics, the antibiotic resistance
had been transferred, via pollen, to bacteria in the guts of the bees
that gathered it.

Chris