Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2010 23:23:20 -0600
> I have just found a manual on bee nutrition.  It is published by the
> Australian Government and available for free download.   A big chunk of
> the manual is data but the rest is very interesting reading.  The manual
> is called "Fat Bees Skinny Bees".  The advanced search features of google
> will bring this up for you if you want to take a look.  Not finished
> reading this yet but it looks promising.

Australia has done quite a bit of work on nutrition because they have some
flows which will seriously depopulate colonies working them due to lack of
pollen and adequate protein.  I have seen this here in North America, too,
but it is less common.  Fall alfalfa flows can result in dead hives within a
few months due to protein depletion in what would have been the winter bees.

Fat bees Skinny Bees is a classic and the price is right.  Doug tours, too
so many of us have met him and had a chance to pick his brain.  There are
other books available, although not cheaply, on Amazon, for example.  I have
several.  they make great bedtime reading.  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Essential oils, phagostimulants, stimulants and nutrients are all separate
topics.  Non-nutrient and anti-nutrient components of feeds, natural and
man-made are also of importance.

The topic is deep and one can get as technical as it suits, but to me all
the reading and formulating in the world will not help much if the bees do
not have good forage.

The bottom line is to ensure good natural forage with no toxic components
and then supplement with simple, inexpensive supplements.

As for oils, I am not the one to ask.  I have had little to do with them.
Others here have some experience and may volunteer.