From:
Bill Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 22:22:38 -0400
On the subject of heating honey:

One of the things that I have observed is that it is virtually impossible to
win in our local fairs entering honey that has not been heat processed in the
150 F (65 C) range.   The problem is crystals in the honey.   To get rid of
them, you must either heat the honey to the temperature range given above, or
ultra-filter it (another raw honey no-no).

Honey judging standards are supposed to encourage and reward a properly
prepared product.   Perhaps this is a case where they are not doing that, and
the judging standards should be re-examined.

W. G. Miller
Gaithersburg, MD