From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 14:12:34 -0700
> "Now before hand I want you all to know that many beekeepers and
> honey packers are saying -- honey cannot be organic! You cannot
> control where the  bees fly! "
>
> I have never heard of a *beekeeper* making this argument.

Let me be the first.  Setting aside my objections to the word 'organic' used in
this way, and accepting for a moment the ideas behind the movement, let me point
out that there is no way to control where bees pick up water, and no way to
control what they collect for pollen or propolis.

Even assuming that an area the size of the potential foraging district of a
beehive can be claimed to be 'organic', no one can assure us that all the things
that hold water or make dust in that area will be also 'organic'.  Bees will
gather anything they can find that appeals to them.

I truly hope we are not going to resurrect this topic, unless we have new
information, not just opinion, since it has been thrashed to death here in the
past.  The discussion generated much more heat than light since the topic has
much more in common with religion than science.

allen

http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/
---
I Xeroxed my watch. Now I have time to spare. -- Steven Wright