From:
K&W Jarrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 15:49:59 -0800
Allen,
Glad you like those pics from today, maybe somehow we could share them here,
but I'm not a computer wiz.

> Just for the record, and for those who lack your years of experience,
> where exactly are you located, and when do you start feeding?  How much,
> and how often?  When do you stop?  Why?

Located in north central Calif.
I start  pollen feeding in Sept----Jan
I put on 6-7 pound patties, as it gets cooler they drop in size to 3--4
pound patties.
I stop in the first part of Jan, because I start working them  (bees) around
the 20th of the month and don't have time to work around the patties (mess).

> Also, how much natural pollen is in the comb when you start, and available
> to foragers?  Do you see natural pollen coming in?  Steadily, or
> sporadically?  Is any stored in the combs or is it consumed as it comes
> in?

There is pollen stored in the comb at all times , there is very little
coming in.

> I find it hard to believe that *all* the losses, including losses suffered
> by very well informed and successful long-term beekeepers, can be
> attributed only to nutrition, but who knows?

I know successful second-third-and fourth generation keepers that cant keep
varroa under control. I am amazed how slow keepers are responding to these
changes. The 80's & 90's  ways of doing bee business are long gone.

I was out today making splits, if I only make up 300-400 @ eight frame avg
for almond  pollination,  well , you guys can do the math.

Keith Jarrett