Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2017 07:40:10 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (6 lines)
Location: Livermore, CA, 37.7 N, 121.7 W. Two weeks ago most of my colonies had 3-5 frames of brood (20-70%), loquat, citrus and eucalyptus all blooming right now. Not only pollen but fresh nectar being stored in partially empty outer frames and over the top of brood in inner frames in lower brood box of doubles and in newly installed upper shallows with drawn comb on singles. By late Dec they will likely be down to about 1.5-3 frames of partial brood then by the first week of Feb back to about 7-9 frames of brood. First heavy pollen from almonds comes about the second week of Feb here. Early swam season is the first week of Mar here. Last year my first swam catch was Mar 3rd. I run fully bottom-screened shallow boxes with two 1 inch screened holes in the front over my colonies with telescoping covers. Bottom 3/8 inch entrances are cut down to about 3-4 inches wide. Never have condensation or mold issues unless insulation of some kind (i.e., shredded paper) is placed it the screened shallow box.
The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2