From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:33:38 -0500
Thanks Kent!

I have read many books on the "dust Bowl days".

About half point to the problem *at least in part* man caused.

I wonder if our current drought  continues until November as recently posted
it will be said by future generations as partly man caused?

Its true changes after the thirties changes were made such as the Soil
Conservation Service but after the floods of 2011 (partly man caused because
water was not released soon enough up north over concerns over recreational
water levels in lakes (documented)  ) caused the loss of many grass soil
conservation areas.

Unlike the fields of the thirties when fields were tilled with a cultivator
weeds are killed for the season with herbicides. Once the corn and soybeans
are dead all we will see (if the drought continues as NOOA predicts)  is
bare ground subject to the winds.

I also reject the notion we are in a "flash drought".

Our area had drought last fall. Even in other drought areas getting rain the
rains have not been the type which replaces the lost sub soil moisture.

> If anyone is interested, an extremely good book on the dust bowl is The
> Worst Hard Times.  The stories/accounts are pretty shocking.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/The-Worst-Hard-Time-Survived/dp/061834697X

bob