From:
"D. Murrell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2008 09:44:01 -0400
Hi Bill and Everyone,

Sorry to hear about your losses. Did the mites get them or was it something
else?

I too, am beeless at present. I moved to Florida and gave away all my hives
to a commercial beekeeper in Wyoming. The small cell hives are now
interspersed throughout his operation. Individual hives were used to fill
empty spots on palettes. So, are dispersed.

They are being managed the same way as all his other hives except for mite
treatments. They are not being treated for mites. And are run in two story
deeps. He sends about half of his bees to the almonds. But left the small
cell hives behind, last season, as he is evaluating small cell for himself.
They will probably become part of the migratory operation if they pan out at
home.

In a month, I'll be back in Wyoming and visit with him. Maybe I'll even get
the chance to examine a few of those small cell hives.

He has indicated that, so far, they are no more productive than his other
hives. When I had them, they were better than twice as productive. I suspect
that your thoughts, about different management practices/skill level having
a major impact on small cell beekeeping, are also correct.

I still have a few things I want try and will be starting over again. So, I
will be setting out a few swarm traps when I get back to Wyoming. I.ve never
messed with them before. Maybe I can catch some AHBs and a cup full of SHBs
brought back from the almonds :>)

Are the bees still swarming in your area? Maybe that empty equipment would
attract a swarm or two.

Regards
Dennis