From:
JOHN IANNUZZI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 08:48:56 -0500

> Topics of the day:
>
>   1. Unapproved Mite Treatments (2)
>   2. Waxworm ?culture?
>   3. "B address"
>   4. <No subject given>
>   5. Pseudomessage
>   6. Specific value of honeybees for crop pollination
>   7. beginner in MD
>   8. Tubing feeders

> Date:    Mon, 29 Jan 1996 08:39:31 CST
> From:    Vladimir Ptacek <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Unapproved Mite Treatments
>
> On Sun, 28 Jan 1996 03:57:36 -0800, John Caldeira wrote:
>
> >Are Mavrik, Spur and other forms of fluvalinate, or formic acid, commonly
> >used to treat varroa-infested hives in the U.S.?  I realize these treatments
> >are not currently approved for use with bees in the U.S., but does the cost
> >difference between Apistan and these unapproved treatments provide a strong
> >temptation for commercial beekeepers?
> >
> >How widespread is the use of unapproved treatments?  Would appreciate
> >learning from any speculation and/or knowledge on this.
> >
> >Public or private E-mail.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >John Caldeira
> >
> >John Caldeira
> >Dallas, Texas
>
> Here, in the Czech Republic we never used Apistan to control Varroas, and
> after more than 10 years of their presence in the coutry we still have
> nearly the same level of colony numbers. An effective complex of different
> methods has been applied with the aim to use as little chemicals
> as possible.
> Those of you interested in details write dirrectly to the
> Institute for Beekeeping at Dol,
> 252 66 Libcice n. Vlt.,
>        Czech Republic
>
> Best regards,
> Vladimir Ptacek
> Fac. Sci., Dpt. Anim. Physiol.        E.mail: [log in to unmask]
> Masaryk University                    phone:  .42/5/41129 562
> 611 37 Brno, Czech Republic           fax:    .42/5/41211 214
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Mon, 29 Jan 1996 07:49:17 -0500
> From:    Ray Lackey <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Waxworm ?culture?
>
> I never thought I'd need it but now someone has asked.  I remember
> culture methods being discussed a few months back.  Can someone point
> me to the particular month's log or send the info direct if you have
> saved a file of just that info and have it available.  I need to look
> into search engines to scan the log files.
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> +    Raymond J. Lackey, EAS Master Beekeeper, VP LIBA      +
> +    Twelve years exper with 25 colonies on Long Island, NY+
> +    INTERNET: [log in to unmask]                       +
> +    Mail: 1260 Walnut Avenue, Bohemia NY 11617-2176       +
> +    Home Phone: 516-567-1936  FAX: 516-262-8053           +
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Mon, 29 Jan 1996 11:24:14 +0100
> [...]
FOR THE BEEGINNER IN MD.
HAL LIBERMAN, BEE DEALER, LIVES IN YOUR AREA, UPPER MARLBORO.
CHECK HIM OUT IN PHONE BOOK TO HEAR HIS MESSAGE. HE'S SELLING
OUT AND MOVING OUT. BONNE CHANCE.
    JACK THE B-MAN
   John Iannuzzi PhD            * "Singing masons building roofs
   9772 Old Annapolis Rd        *  of gold."       --Shakespeare
   Ellicott City MD 21042 usa   *  20 Italian colonies
   [log in to unmask]   *  3-1/2 decades in beedom