From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 1997 22:20:11 -0400
I have followed with interest the work of Dr. Rodriguez using mineral oil to
prevent varroa infestations.

I am fortunate in not have to content with varroa in my hive management but
there is one aspect that has not been raised to date which I believe is
important.

Does the mineral oil become a residue in the honey?  Judging by the
application method there must be a possibility that it will enter the honey at
some time.

I realise that it is food grade mineral oil that is used but, as mineral oil
is not a natural occuring part of honey, then any that finds it way into honey
must be classed as a residue.  We now have greater standards for honey being
required throughout the world.

If something is not natural to a product then it can be present legally if a
Maximum Residue Limit (MRL) is set for a particular item.  This means that the
particular item can be present up to the MRL.  I think a lot of people would
be surprised at what MRL's have been set for a range of food products.  There
could be an MRL for mineral oil determined for honey.

I raise this issue now because I would not like to see a suitable method of
control of varroa eventually denied official sanctioning because of a
possible residue problem.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA