From:
James C Bach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 18:47:24 -0700
Auble1 asks whether to feed a 3 lb. package with pollen substitute.

Reply:  I prefer the use of the term supplement because I don't think there
is any such thing as a pollen substitute.  Just a tiny technical issue.

If you talk with other beekeepers in the area that have been around for
awhile you can ask them whether sufficient pollen is available from natural
sources, or determine which plants are in bloom in the area and check a
book about pollen and nectar sources for bees.

If in doubt, feed a quarter lb. patty made from Bee Pro with 10% natural
pollen added, if you can get it.  If you can't, make one from 3 parts low
fat soy flour and one part brewers yeast moistened to a dough consistency
with honey.   If you don't have honey you can use 1:1 sugar/water syrup,
but be sure to make the mix the consistency of pancake batter.  The dry
constituents absorb the moisture from the syrup to become dough-like.  Put
the mix in waxed paper sandwich bags and place it on the top bars of the
frames.

If you are starting the package on foundation, feed 1:1 syrup until the
bees won't take anymore, or until two deeps (3 westerns) contain drawn
comb, which ever occurs first.

James C. Bach