From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2012 11:42:01 -0500
The frame I use for comb honey consists of two bee supply house end bars and
a solid bottom bar.

I cut two pieces of wood for the top. leaving a gap wide enough for thin
comb foundation.

I nail & glue one side onto the end bars.

The other piece is loose.

To install the comb honey foundation you do not need hot beeswax

You simply lay the frame flat with the not attached bar out and lay the
foundation in the frame *leaving about a 1/4 inch overlap*.

You carefully slide the bar in and fold the wax over the top bars.

Your done.

A couple secrets are 10 frames and a level hive.

A couple others.

Only make comb honey during a strong honey flow. Pull as soon as capped.

My biggest problems are pollen in comb honey and if left on too long the
comb finished with dark honey and travel stained. Getting bees to cap comb
honey can be a problem when the flow slows like now! The bees are starting
to bring in a darker honey as late July plants are starting to bloom (five
weeks early)

I still have a few not yet capped boxes but trying to crowd those bees to
finish capping but with a temp over a 100F. and heat index of close to 115
F. the boxes were not capped this morning. I will pull regardless Friday as
my guys will run through the extractor unless I get all the comb honey
pulled. ( has happened once before)

Years ago I was looking around the processing area for my beautiful boxes of
comb honey and all left was uncapped comb! I was upset!

bob