From:
"Kewisch, Jorg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2011 11:47:37 -0400
The experiment was done on a show string budget, and the report said that the intention was to make it so that it could be reproduced by the average bear^^^^beekeeper.  I would like to see the experiment repeated in a more systematic way. What bothers me most is the use of real cell phones. They are complicated and there is little control of what is going on inside. Why have two of them. The radio used to keep the cell phones going adds complexity. It could be that the bees only got upset after an ad for raid bug spray was transmitted ;)
What I would like to do is to use a simple RF transmitter and a coax cable to a small antenna inside the hive, which must be shielded the aluminum foil to keep the RF inside and other cell phone signals outside. Any ham operator can build that for a few bucks. With such a setup the bee annoyance level can be measured vs. RF frequency and amplitude. Anyone on Long Island interested?