Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2007 16:29:05 GMT
Bob,

I have a few questions regarding the following:

>>Australian queen breeders... genetics were sent into the U.S. to Bob Harrison & Dann Purvis among others for incorporation into U.S. queen lines.

1. What is the goal of incorporating Australian genetics into Dann Purvis' population?  Since Australia does not have varroa, I assume the main contribution from the down-under genetics would be in productivity?

2. You mentioned Australia had imported varroa-resitant genetics from Italy.  Since there is no varroa in Australia, I'd think it's hard for the Australians to test mite resistance of their crosses 'over there.'  You mentioned I think that your Australian have gone for one year w/o treatments - or has it been longer?  Don't we have bees in the US that already do that?

3. Why doesn't USDA import semen and eggs directly from Italy?
I have nothing against Australian imports (have not seen anything plausible on disease/pests from down-under) but if Italy has productive Italian bees with the best mite resistance, we should go to that source.  Getting eggs and semen from Italy in climate controlled containers and raising queens here would surely eliminate the risk of xfering any pests and [most?] disease.

Waldemar