From:
Dave Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 1995 18:54:33 -0500
Help please,

Some friends are moving into a house which has an active honey bee
colony in the space between the roof and plasterboard making up the
raised ceiling.  Its a small, four room house and the bees are using
both gable end louvered vents for entrance, although they favor one.
This colony has been entrenched for at least three years and many bees
are clustering on the louvers. It is approximately 10-15 feet from
either  louver in a space hardly larger than the 2x6 inch studding.

My friends need to remove or eradicate it.

As there is no access except through the ceiling (the comb is
approximately midway between the roofline and gutters) they feel they
will spray the clustering bees on the louvered vents on several
occasions with soapy water.  When those bees are sufficiently reduced they
intend to close one vent and severely restrict the other.  They hope
to find some kind of pesticide dust to place strategically so the
bees may track it into their nest as they pass through the entrance.
They are still pondering whether to just allow the wax moths to clean
up.

Can anyone advise me of a pesticide effective in this situation?
Maybe someone could advise me of a beekeeper near Wilmington,
Delaware who would be willing to take on this task instead?  Any
thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave Johnson