Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:36:05 -0400
> Bees
> infected with nosema lived significantly shorter than those not infected
> with nosema, however, treating with essential oils did not improve survival
> in the host honey bees. The used essential oils did not affect the
> mortality
> of bees which were not fed with nosema, or their food consumption. Some
> essential oils such as thymol, starch-encapsulated origanum oil, and neat
> origanum oil showed a negative impact on the nosema infected bees.

Not sure how long the trial went. It might have made a difference with the
next generations.

The other paper was all about larva, not bees. My guess about nosema and
Oregano EO is from a prophylactic point of view. It does not cure bees but
might keep the nosema down if it is fed over a period to the bees.

Just about all the ones who used the EO's to "cure" the problem had
problems. It seems to be more a prophylactic treatment. Stop the problem
before it can become a larger one.

The problem with many of these treatments is that much of what is claimed
for them is disproved, but there may be some truth in there somewhere. Take
thymol. It was an EO that has migrated into an fairly effective mite
treatment, but only after being tested and formulated to do so.

I have no idea if Oregano EO will follow that path, but there is enough
there to keep looking. Not to make sick bees well but to keep healthy bees
healthy. Take Listerine, an early thymol application. It will not cure an
unhealthy mouth, but it will keep a healthy mouth healthy. If these EO's can
do that, then they have merit. (Does this sound like a product on the market
today for bees that uses EOs?)

Again, more testing is necessary.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine