From:
Beverly E Stanley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 09:32:58 -0400
Dear Thomas:
I also had laying workers in two hives this year. Both came as third
generation from the same line of queens, and I suspect that inbreeding
may be the culprit. I'm ordering queens from as far away as possible to
try to vary the gene pool. Anyway, when this happened a seasoned
beekeeper was with me and had me cart the whole hive about 100 ft. away.
We cleaned the bees off of each frame, and set the hive on newspaper
atop a strong hive.(It had its own entrance up there). He said laying
workers can't fly and won't walk that far, because if they could get
back, they would kill any queen I might try to introduce. It worked. The
new hive is now combined, I lost only the bees I needed to loose, and it
produced a bumper crop of honey. The same thing happened with a "sister"
hive (same line) and I did the same process with great results. I lost a
two hives in number, but gained two much stronger hives, so it wasn't a
total loss.

Bev