Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2012 08:06:18 -0400
>This increase in tolerances for soybean meal could be significant as I understand some bee feed supplements are soy-based. While some use organic soybean meal in thier mix I understand others may use off the shelf soybean meal.

>My question to the BEE-L community is if bee feed supplements are soy-based and an established tolerance for soybean meal is 4.0 ppm when feed overtime could soy-based bee feed supplements affect bee behavior?

I do know that Global Patties has submitted sample to a sophisticated US government lab for testing after that change in regulations, out of prudence, and was assured that the flour showed ND -- not detectable -- for neonics.

My understanding is that certification of zero neonics by suppliers is part of Global's spec to suppliers as an ongoing precaution.

This is a concern that has been discussed here on BEE-L some time back, but the potential for insecticide contamination in any bee (or human) feed, natural or man-made, should always be a matter of ongoing awareness.

Not only soy is in question, but also corn, which is used in some supplements, and also potato and other protein sources used in various concoctions fed to bees.

No matter what some may imply, no vegetable-cased protein ingredient is exempt from that concern, along with all the other various purity worries that bee suppliers routinely ponder on the behalf of their customers.

Labeling an ingredient "organic:" is no guarantee that a neonic has not somehow come into contact.

Only analysis can prove that, for the sample submitted, and each sample is quite expensive.

Our assumption is that neonics from any source in any amount will be harmful to bees to some extent, (although in today's world, detection limits are getting so low that eventually anything applied anywhere on the planet will turn up almost anywhere else in some infinitesimal amount).

Zero amounts in feed are the only amounts we find assuring.

Although I am only aware of Global's precautions, I would assume that the other major manufacturers of bee supplements are equally diligent.  A lot hinges on such products being beneficial to bees, not harmful, and their businesses depend on it.

It certainly would not hurt to ask what specific precautions are made to assure freedom from neonics when buying patties or ingredients, and only but bee-approved ingredients from bee suppliers only, not the local feed store or even the local health food store.

If people ask about neonic, it shows concern and adds pressure on suppliers and their suppliers to make sure they are doing adequate diligence on the part of the beekeeper.

We must note, however that neoniucs are routinely found in natural bee feed -- pollen.

At present it seems that pollen supplements on the market may be safer in regard to neonic content than some natural pollen until proven differently, no matter what the tolerances may happen to be.

Although neonics are a big concern, it is very possible and common to harm bee colonies by feeding flours, sugars and yeasts that are not suitable for bees.  Most yeasts and flours or meals sold by non-bee outlets may be unsuitable for bees and may additionally be stale-dated and expensive to boot.