From:
Yoon Sik Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 15:25:12 -0400
For those suffering from SHB’s, allow me to share with you what I have
observed.  Two or three years ago, while enjoying watching my bees form
aerial conveyer belts between the hives and their floral sources during a
major flow, I saw two SHB’s emerge from the soft earth, wing up, about two
feet in front of the hives. It was mid-May and the flow was in full swing,
and the dirt in front of the hive was soft.  I then saw thses two
marauders trying to get into a hive nearby; however, by then a gang of
bees attacked them, thwarting their infiltration attempts.  Getting a hint
from this observation, I then wanted to do something about the very
*ground* on which my apiaries are set.

In the following year, I put down a thick used carpet in such a way that
they stuck out about four to five feet in front of the hives—-the longer,
the better, IMHO—-thus covering the very ground that might have harbored
the burgers.  Of course, the carpets also stopped the weeds from growing
into screened bottom boards, as well.  My standard set up consists of the
recyled carpet on the ground, next four cynder blocks (two each sides),
and then two treated landscape timbers or two railroad ties, and finally
four hives, two on each end, thus leaving the middle open for layind down
supers during mainipulation.  The carpet is set flush in the backside of
the hive, nothing sticking out, however.

Ever since, I have not seen any small hive beetle, but this is totally
anecdotal and thus unscientifc.  Someone who has done it but with
different results can shoot me down, and I have no problem with that.
There were just too many uncontroable variables in my observation, such as
severe drought and severe flood, back to back, among others.  For those
suffering from the burgers, however, this experiment might deserve another
look, particularly since even the medication against SHB focuses on
the “ground” near the apiary.

This could very well be yet another research topic for a graduate student.

Yoon