From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2014 09:08:55 -0500
On 29-Nov-14, at 8:21 PM, randy oliver wrote:

>>  Note that honey bees, which
> evolved in Europe, often avoid collecting pollen from New World crops
> (corn, sunflower, cucurbits) if there are Old World plants within
> flight
> range.

Hi Randy and all

I have kept bees at this location, trees and wildflowers(nearest
agriculture 2 km), for over 40 years.  During that time, some plants
have become more plentiful.  Coltsfoot (Tussilago farfara) is one
that arrived from Europe and provides early pollen seen on my bees
before dandelion blooms.  While I am pleased about the early natural
pollen, are my bees helping this invasive plant spread in my area?
Purple Loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria), however, has almost
disappeared from my locale in spite of the river and pond next to my
apiary.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada