From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 14:16:03 -0400
Dr. Marla Spivak and CCD poster boy David Hackenberg interviewed on a local public radio call in
show

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2007/03/08/midmorning2/

FYI: RealPlayer will play this file which is close to an hour long.

I feel this exchange further validates my feelings that CCD is a flash in the pan malady. I thought
Marla did an excellent job of stating the facts. I'm not sure the beekeeper did much to promote
the bee industry as good stewards of bees or producers of a wholesome, clean, food product (see
what you think).

Also my comments about CCD on this site are not directed at any beekeeper that may be
spotlighted in the media or any single person. My intentions are to point out that this moment of
high visibility in the public and beekeeper circles rarely mentions the self inflicted troubles and
ignorant practices that have been going on for some time in the US.

I truly and deeply believe that mite related and bee heatlh issues are far more serious and far
reaching then a disappearing phenomenon which historically has come and gone.

I'm afraid CCD is becoming another external problem for some beekeepers to point to instead of
turning a loss into a self reflecition and learning experience. The mysterious hocus pocus attached
to this "new" maladay in the media is almost Twilight Zone material and not helping the situation
IMO.

My strong feeling is that the US bees industry is experiencing a bad case of "indigestion"
concerning the after affects of moving from ineffectual strips to new mite treatments. Many
beekeepers I have contact with are not fully digesting the fact that these new materials are time or
temp sensitive and unlike their predeccesors cannot be applied any time and at "double strength"
to be most effective.   It may take a few seasons for some to work out the nuances of these new
treatments and integrate that into their operation.

P.S. Writing from Mn where winter is winding down &  temps are close to 50F and our colonies are
out on cleansing fligths. All looks normal from here with typical winter losses. over

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:                                       *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm                               *