From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:19:11 -0500
At 1/24/02 10:33 PM, you wrote:
>Taking the "genome" project - if and when it arrives, the results and
>information gained will serve to what ends?

Mapping the genomes is a powerful tool and will be used for good and bad things, dependent on *motive*. Is the motive *to understand*, *to heal*, or to gain *power* and *money*?

>At the moment, any search into what ever problem inflicting itself on
>our bees or allied industry very quickly runs into an academic brick
>wall, often associated with industrial "secrets" and "no right to know".
>The knowledge is there for who?

I work in an academic setting and I have tried to share everything I know. I admit, some academics will not now talk with me because I am not *secretive* but so be it.

>A group like Bee-L performs a great service to beekeepers but is
>hampered by rumour, mistruths, correct facts and reasonable journalism -
>all mixed with the possibility to pick and choose. It, to my way of
>thinking often reflects the lack of strategic direction being suffered.

It is not that hard to separate the rumors from the facts. The rumor mongers never have any independent corroboration.

>Candidates for future problems in our industry?

There is not now and never has been a national policy (let alone global) on any of the issues that confront us, like the one in New Zealand. It is a past, present and future problem.

PB