From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:50:15 -0600
Greetings all,
     Such a wonderful day here in St. Louis, MO.  Temperature was flirting
with the 70 degree mark, so I thought it would be a good day to make a check
of some hives.  Two of the 3 hives I checked today had a good amount of
bees, and a few eggs.  I didnt find any brood, but this is theorist week of
warm weather, so I figured the queen was just beginning to lay again.  The
3rd hive was a big surprise.  I opened it to find it very full of bees,
probably a good 12 frames filled!  In addition, there was still quite a bit
of stored honey, and they had even eaten about 7 pounds of hard candy!  I
looked all over for the marked queen that I put in there last July.  I did
not find her, nor any eggs, but I did find an unmarked queen!  The last time
I saw the marked queen was in October.  We have had a very mild winter this
year.  It didnt really turn cold here until after the first of the new year.
It appears to me that sometime since October, they raised a new queen.  Is
this possible?  The hive in question had several drones  in it as well.
What are the chances that she is a virgin?  What do I do?  Thanks for the
help.  Feel free to contact me via e mail at:  [log in to unmask]

Scott Moser

Visit the Jefferson County Beekeepers Association web site at:
http://JeffersonCoBeekeepers.homestead.com/