Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 17:11:38 PDT
Hello Gang,

Do not install any entance reducer. A wind break is much better.
Ventilation is better with just a simple piece of tar paper stapled
to the hive body front so as to over lap the landing area of the
bottom board.

This blocks the wind and still allows the bees to get air from the
triangle shaped air gap that is made from the hive body to the bottom
board on the sides of the entrance opening. There should be a space
large enough for your fist at each side of this over lapping
piece of tar paper.

The wind will not have a direct path into the hive and air can
circulate. In addition to this get a insulating board and place it
between the inner and outer cover. Homesote is good, it absorbs
moisture and insulates. Make a groove in the Homesote cutting from
the hole in the inner cover and the same width as that hole running
to the back of the hive. Cut this slot about 3/8 inch deep and make
sure that the slot reaches the outside of the hive. This will conduct
moisture from the inner hive to the outside world while it is in vapor
form. It will condense outside rather than inside where it can hurt the
bees.

A 4 by 8 foot sheet will make 14 of these insulating boards.
I dado the edges to make it fit as an insert, flush to the inner cover
except for the grove, which conducts the warm moist hive air to the
cold outside winter air.

Years ago , abc&xyz's had a picture of this board in it. Richard Bonneys
book, Hive management that I think had a similar photo too, but I lent that book to my grandson so I don't know for sure.

Slatted racks add to the winter safety of the bees by providing an
internal wind break. All my boxes have a 3/4 inch hole in them just
below the handle and these stay open all year. If the bees want a hole
closed up then they will close it.

A wind break allows for air movement while keeping out the icy blasts.
They gotta have air. Moving air, but not too much.

Ernie Gregoire   "Beekeeper," def.= partially brave,
                                    partially excentric

Grist Mill Apiary

Canaan, NH. USA

10/08/99 17:11:38