From:
Ken Hoare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 01:07:12 +0100
Tom from Dublin asks about 'imprisoning' bees in an observation hive for 5
days.

I would suggest it is too long. In about 3 weeks will be taking a 3 - frame
Commercial (16 x 10 frames) observation hive to the Shrewsbury Flower Show
where they will be restricted from flying for three days. Have done the same
for about three years and consider they have suffered enough by the end of
the third day. I understand that the show organisers INSIST that water is
fed throughout the period. Depending upon the heat in the marquee governs
the number of dead bees falling to the base and one year, before the public
arrived, sucked them out with a vacuum cleaner.

Is it possible for Tom to allow them flight after the show closes, maybe
means he would have to remain on site, but would have that delicious black
nectar they call Guinness to keep him company.

Shrewsbury Flower Show. As Stewarding Secretary for the Bees and Wine
Section of this prestigious UK event, held on Friday, 13 and Saturday, 14
August may I take this opportunity to invite beekeepers, from throughout the
world if you happen to be in the area, to give me a minimum of two hours of
your time to chat to an audience of 80,000 about honey bees and products of
the hive. In return I will arrange your FREE admission, so the hourly rate
of pay is pretty low (about £9 admission), but its great fun.

Ken Hoare